Prelims Specific Questions
Consider the following statements with respect to ‘Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act’
- The Act requires every person or NGO wishing to receive foreign donations to be registered
- The Act prohibits receipt of foreign funds by candidates for elections, judges and government servants etc
- FCRA registration is valid for a period of three years and is expected to be renewed six months before expiry ——-> This is wrong since valid for 5 Years
- Ministry of Home Affairs is the nodal Ministry for handling FCRA registrations and all its orders can be challenged in High Court
Choose the correct answer using the code given below
a) 1,2 and 4 only
b) 1 and 3 only
c) 2,3 and 4 only
d) 1 and 2 only
2) Consider the following statements with respect to ‘Basmati Rice production in India’
- It is prominently grown in the Himalayan foothills of the Indian sub-continent
- Most of the exports of Indian basmati is to West Asian countries
Select the correct statement(s)
a) 1 only
b) 2 only
c) Both 1 and 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
3) Jim Corbett National Park is located along the banks of which river
Basmati” is long grain aromatic rice grown for many centuries in a specific geographical area, in the Himalayan foothills of the Indian sub-continent. India is known for its Basmati rice, with seven States — Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand — earmarked for geographical indication (GI).
Mains Question of the day
1. Role of Private Participation in overcoming Climate Change ?
Rishi Sunak is appointead as Britain’s first non-white Prime Minister.
2. AQI Pollutants and categories
Particulate matter (PM) 10, PM2.5, Ozone (O3), Sulphur dioxide (SO2), nitrogen dioxide (NO2), carbon monoxide (CO), lead (Pb), and ammonia (NH3) are the major pollutants that influence an area’s AQI.
3. CCI imposes ₹.936 cr. fine on Google
Google was fined for the second time in a week for abusing its dominant market position, with the Competition Commission of India (CCI) fining the company 936.44 crores for its app store billing policies.
So what was the issue in billing system :-
Google allows Play store developers to receive payments solely through its Google Play Billing System for their apps, audio, video, and games, as well as certain in-app purchases.
CCI also investigated claims that rival UPI apps were barred from being effective payment options on the Play Store. Google Pay was discovered to be integrated with intent flow methodology, whereas other UPI apps can be used with collect flow methodology.
4. Alluri Sitaram Raju and Rampa Rebellion
In August 1922, the forests of the Godavari Agency in the Madras Presidency witnessed three consecutive days of attacks on three police stations. Alluri Sitarama Raju and 500 tribals stormed the police stations in Chintapalli, Krishnadevipeta, and Rajavommangi, stealing 26 police carbine rifles and 2,500 rounds of ammunition.
Sitarama Raju did not belong to the tribal community, but he was aware of the constraints imposed on tribal life by the British colonial administration.
5. India and Conventions related to STOLEN IDOLS etc
India has signed the UNESCO Convention on the Means of Prohibiting and Preventing the Illicit Import, Export, and Transfer of Ownership of Cultural Property, which was adopted in 1970. (It was ratified in 1977.)
Perhaps we should also take Article 51A(f) of the Constitution seriously and sign the 1995 UNIDROIT (International Institute for the Unification of Private Law) Convention on Stolen or Illegally Exported Cultural Objects.
As per Article 51 A(f):- “It shall be the duty of every Indian citizen to value and preserve our composite culture’s rich heritage.”
Why was it in the news:- Two idols stolen from Tamil Nadu were traced to the U.S.
6. All about IEA and relation with India
The International Energy Agency (IEA) recently invited India, the world’s third-largest energy consumer India, to join as a full-time member.
India became an Associate member of the IEA in March 2017, but it had been working with the organisation for a long time before that.
Membership in the IEA:
- The IEA is comprised of 30 member countries.
- It also includes eight associate member countries.
- Chile, Colombia, Israel, and Lithuania are the four countries vying for full membership.
- A candidate country for membership in the IEA must be a member of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
The International Energy Agency (IEA)
- It is a self-governing Intergovernmental Organization founded in 1974 in Paris, France.
- It is primarily concerned with its energy policies, which include economic development and energy security.