Direct Seeded Rice :- Researchers have developed suitable direct seeding alternatives to transplanted paddy. In direct seeded rice (DSR) cultivation, raising of nursery for transplantation is done away with.
Advantage of the Technique:-
- Farmer can avoid the major problem faced in Punjab i.e., labour shortage for transplanting due to peak demand.
- In case of delay in monsoon or shortage of water,
- DSR gives the farmer flexibility to take up direct sowing of paddy with a suitable duration variety to fit into the left over season.
- Direct sown rice consumes relatively less water compared to transplanted flooded rice.
- Energy demand for pumping of irrigation water is also less and saving can be much higher during deficit rainfall situations compared to transplanted rice.
- Early Maturity
- undisturbed soil structure
- Better Fertilizer use efficiency.
- Direct sowing can be practiced for cultivating both coarse rice and basmati rice wherever feasible.
- Seed requirement is high
- Early Sowing required.