The Equator passes through the northern part of the continent and the Tropic of Capricorn runs roughly through the middle.
The Galapagos Islands near the Equator and the Juan Fernandez Islands near Central Chile are in the Pacific Ocean.
- The Tierra del Fuego is in the Southern Ocean and the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic Ocean. The island of Trinidad is near Venezuela in the North Atlantic Ocean.
- The Andes is the longest mountain range in the world. South America’s three southern countries – Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay – constitute a region sometimes referred to as the Southern Cone because of its pointed, ice-cream- cone-like shaped.
- Landlocked Countries – Paraguay and Bolivia
South America includes 14 countries:
- Falkland Islands (United Kingdom) i.e. (British Overseas Territories)
- French Guiana (France)
- Forms the second-highest mountain systems in the world and is next to the Himalayas
- Mount Aconcagua is the extinct volcano lies in Argentina
- Mount Ojas del Salado is the highest active volcano in the world of Argentina
- Andes Mountains – A part of seven countries: Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru, Chile, Argentina.
an abundance of rain, tropical rainforest, gold, diamond, and iron ore reserve. World’s highest fall – Angel’s fall on the Caroni River.
Plateau of Mato Grosso:
Ancient erosional plateau, savannah, cattle raising, gold, and diamond reserve.
Plateau of Borborema:
Semi-arid, deciduous-thorny scrub
Lava plateau, Minas Garais region- iron and gold reserve.
Drainage System of South America
- The Amazon Basin
- The Rio de Plata Basin
- The Orinoco Basin
- The Sao Francisco Basin
Important Lakes and Islands
|Lake Maracaibo (12,950 sq. km)||North of Venezuela, is one of the major oil producing region.Largest lak of South America.|
|Lake Titicaca (12,500 feet above sea level)||Situated between Bolivia and Peru.Highest navigable lake in the world.|
|Lake Popo||Lies in the Altiplano (high Plateau between the Andes mountain chain) in Bolivia.|
|Galapagos Islands||Home of many unique species of reptiles (turtles), birds and fishes.|
Lithium Triangle is an intersection of Chile, Bolivia and Argentina, known for high quality salt flats.
Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia, Salar de Atacama in Chile, and Salar de Arizaro in Argentina contains over 45%of known global lithium reserves.