- Microwave Weapons are supposed to be a type of direct energy weapons, which aim highly focused energy in the form of sonic, laser, or microwaves, at a target.
- Microwave Weapons use beams of high-frequency electromagnetic radiation to heat the water in a human target’s skin, causing pain and discomfort.
- A number of countries are thought to have developed these weapons to target both humans and electronic systems.
- Concerns have been raised on whether they can damage the eyes, or have a carcinogenic impact in the long term.
Which countries have these “microwave weapons”?
- China had first put on display its “microwave weapon”, called Poly WB-1, at an air show in 2014. The United States has also developed a prototype microwave-style weapon, which it calls the “Active Denial System”.
- The US apparently deployed such a weapon in Afghanistan, but withdrew it without ever using it against human targets.