National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd.(NAFED) was established on the auspicious day of Gandhi Jayanti on 2nd October 1958.
Nafed’s registration is under the Multi State Co-operative Societies Act.
Also It was setup with the object to promote Co-operative marketing of agricultural produce to benefit the farmers.
However Agricultural farmers are the main members of Nafed, who have the authority to say in the form of members of the General Body in the working of Nafed.
ALSO READ | CO-OPERATIVE BANKING IN INDIA
The objectives of the NAFED shall be:-
- to organize, promote and develop marketing,
- processing and storage of agricultural, horticultural and forest produce,
- distribution of agricultural machinery, implements and other inputs,
- it also undertakes inter-state, import and export trade, wholesale or retail as the case may be and
- to act and assist for technical advice in agricultural, production for the promotion and the working of its members, partners, associates and cooperative marketing, processing and supply societies in India.
Also Visit | INDIAN EXPRESS 23/05/2020