1) ‘World Bank-ISA Solar Risk Mitigation Initiative has mobilised $333 m’ :-
News: The World Bank has operationalised a Solar Risk Mitigation Initiative (SRMI) with $333 million for 22 African countries.
- Solar Risk Mitigation Initiative: It has been developed by the World Bank in partnership with Agence Française de Développement (AFD), International Renewable Energy Agency(IRENA) and International Solar Alliance (ISA).
- Aim: To support countries in developing sustainable solar programs that will attract private investments and so reduce reliance on public finances.
2)Coral Triangle Day:-
News: The Coral Triangle Day 2020 was observed on June 9,2020.
- The Coral Triangle Day is an annual event started by Coral Triangle Initiative(CTI) since 2012 in conjunction with the World Oceans Day on June 8.
- Aim: Tocelebrate and raise awareness of the ocean conservation and protection especially of the Coral Triangle.
- Coral Triangle Initiative(CTI): It is a multilateral partnership of six countries (Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste).
- Coral Triangle: It is a vast ocean expense that geographically spreads across 6 countries in Asia and the Pacific: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Timor Leste.
- Significance: It is considered as one of the 3 mega ecological complexes on Earth together with Congo Basin and the Amazon Rainforest.The region contains 76% of all known coral species, 37% of all known coral reef fish species and 53% of the world’s coral reefs.
3)The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India recently launched food safety index of the year 2019-20. The states of Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra have topped.
The index was prepared based on five parameters as follows:-
- Food Testing Facilities
- Human Resource and Institutional Data
- Capacity building besides consumer empowerment.
The Food Safety Index was released on World Food Safety Day under the theme
Theme: Food Safety is everyone business.
4) Uttarakhand opens Biodiversity Park:- The State of Uttarakhand has recently opened a biodiversity park in Haldwani as the rich botanical heritage of the state is facing threats from climate change and degrading habitat loss, degrading landscapes and development activities.
5)Saturn Moon Titan: Drifting faster than before:- The moon of Saturn, Titan is drifting away faster than before. This has been identified by the researchers in NASA and also scientists in Italian Space agency.
According to the data received from the Cassini Spacecraft of NASA, scientists believed that the Titan has been moving away from its host planet Saturn.