1)India 12th in science research: Nature Index 2020:-
News: Nature Index 2020 has been released by Nature Research.
- The Nature Index 2020 is based on the institution’s or country’s share of articles published in the 82 prestigious scientific journals selected by an independent panel of experts and tracked by the Nature Index database.
- Top five Positions: United States of America, China, Germany, United Kingdom and Japan.
- India: It has been placed at 12th position in country wise ranking.
- Indian institutions Globally: Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) at the 160th position and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) at the 184th position.
2)Flood Warning System For Mumbai “IFLOWS-Mumbai”:-
News: Mumbai will get the country’s second urban flood warning system for evaluation named IFLOWS-Mumbai.
- IFLOWS-Mumbai: It is an Integrated Flood Warning system to enhance the resilience of Mumbai by providing early warning for flooding specially during high rainfall events and cyclones.
- The system also has provisions to capture the urban drainage within the city and predict the areas of flooding
- Developed by: Ministry of Earth Sciences using in-house expertise and in close coordination with Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai.
- Significance: Mumbai will be the second city to get such a warning system in India after Chennai.
- Urban Flooding: Flood is defined as an overflow of a large body of water over areas not usually inundated.Thus,flooding in urban areas is caused by intense and/or prolonged rainfall which overwhelms the capacity of the drainage system.
- Causes: Heavy rainfall, Occurrence of High Tides, Unplanned Urbanization, Inadequate Drainage System among others.
3)Operation Desert Chase:- Facts: Operation Desert Chase was the name of the Anti-espionage operation started by Military Intelligence(MI) in early 2019.It successfully culminated in 2020 with the arrest of two civil defence employees that they had been passing on sensitive information to Pakistan’s spy agency ISI.
4)Vamsadhara Water Dispute:-
News: Andhra Pradesh Government is planning to build Neradi bridge across the Vamsadhara river which will be possible only after Odisha’s consent.
- Vamsadhara river Dispute: It is between Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
- Vamsadhara river or Bansadhara river: It is an east flowing river which originates in Odisha and joins the Bay of Bengal in Andhra Pradesh.It lies between Rushikulya and Godavari.
- Vansadhara Water Dispute Tribunal (VWDT): It was set up in 2010 to look into the dispute between the two states.
5)News: Manipur has urged the Central Government to consider the decommissioning of the Ithai barrage.
- Ithai barrage:It was constructed in 1983 at the confluence of Imphal River and Tuitha River, south of Loktak Lake as part of Loktak Hydroelectric project.
- Purpose: To act as an artificial reservoir to maintain sufficient water volume in loktak lake for the continuous generation of hydropower.
- Concerns: Over time, it has affected the hydrology of the lake and harmed the ecology and economy of the region.
- Loktak Lake:It is the largest freshwater lake in Manipur.It is famous for its phumdis floating over it which are formed naturally.Keibul Lamjao National Park which is the only floating National Park in the world is located on the Loktak Lake.
6)Shahakar Mitra Scheme launched:-Union Agriculture Minister shri Narendra Singh Tomar launched Shahakar Mitra scheme. The scheme has been launched to assist the cooperative institutions to access innovative ideas of young professionals. In return the young interns will gain confidence to become self-reliant in the field.
The Scheme is an internship programme for the youths in the country. It is an initiative of the National Cooperative Development Cooperation (NCDC).
7)Dr Rattan Lal: Indian born American Scientist wins World Food Prize:-
On June 11, the Indian American soil scientist Dr Rattan Lal has won the World Food Prize for mainstreaming and developing soil centric approach in order to increase food production.
Dr Lal has transformed and explored techniques such as no-tillage, over cropping, mulching and agro forestry.
The World Food Prize is equivalent to Nobel Prize in the field of Agriculture.
8)The National Highway Authority of India became the first construction sector to become digital completely.
9)FIFA ranking was released. Indian team retained its 108th position as the international football for the year 2020 has been suspended since March.
10) “Jagananna Chedodu” scheme. The scheme is to provide financial assistance to barbers, tailors and washer men. State : Andhra Pradesh