1)Saharan Cheetah:- For the first time in a decade, the naturalists have filmed a Saharan Cheetah in a Hoggar Mountains national park in Algeria.
It is a critically endangered fauna and its total population was suspected to be less than 250 in 2008.
Saharan Cheetah is different from other Cheetah species in Africa because of shorter coat and nearly white colour. Its face has few or no spots and tear stripes are almost absent.
2)J.K. Rowling announces “The Ickabog”: On May 26, 2020, British author J.K. Rowling released first two chapters of her new Children’s book “The lckabog”.
3)Supreme Court’s suo motu cognisance of Migrant Workers’ plight:-On May 26, 2020, a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court took suo motu cognisance of migrant workers issue and noted that there have been “inadequacies and certain lapses” on the part of the Central and State governments in dealing with the migrant workers crisis during the lockdown.
Suo motu is a latin phrase which means “on its own”. This means that the court has taken the matter into cognisance on its own and without any plaintiff.
4)Chardham and Chamba Tunnel:-
- Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways and MSMEs Shri Nitin Gadkari has recently inaugurated the Chamba Tunnel under Chardham Pariyojana through video conference mode.
- It was constructed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO).
- BRO achieved this major milestone by digging up a 440 m long Tunnel below the busy Chamba town on Rishikesh-Dharasu road Highway (NH 94).
- The construction of tunnel was a challenging task in terms of weak soil strata, continuous water seepage, heavy built up area on top thereby chances of sinking of houses, land acquisition issues, restrictions during COVID lockdown etc.
- The Tunnel will facilitate all-weather connectivity to Chardham.
- It consist of Gangotri, Kedarnath, Yamunotri and Badrinath
- Haridwar is not a part of Chardham. It is a part of Sapta Puri.
5) Pradhan Mantri VAN DHAN Yojana (PMVDY)
- Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana (PMVDY) is a Market Linked Tribal Entrepreneurship Development Program for forming clusters of tribal SHGs and strengthening them into Tribal Producer Companies.
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED.
- Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojana is launched for the holistic development and welfare of tribal population in India by plugging the infrastructure gaps and lags in human development indices.
6)New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START)
- It was signed on April 8, 2010, in Prague by the United States and Russia and entered into force on Feb. 5, 2011.
- The agreement caps Russian and U.S. nuclear arsenal.
- New START replaced the 1991 START I treaty, which expired December 2009, and superseded the 2002 Strategic Offensive Reductions Treaty (SORT), which terminated when New START entered into force.
- New START continues the bipartisan process of verifiably reducing U.S. and Russian strategic nuclear arsenals begun by former Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.
- New START is the first verifiable U.S.-Russian nuclear arms control treaty to take effect since START I in 1994.
- The Trump administration has been worried that extending New Start would negatively impact an arms deal with China and Russia.
- The State Department told the U.S. Congress earlier this year that it is concerned that China’s nuclear stockpile could be doubled if the New Start Treaty continued as is, without including China.