- One Of World’s Most Elusive Cats Filmed For The First Time In A Decade: Naturalists have filmed a Saharan cheetah for the first time in a decade in Hoggar Mountains national park in Algeria.
- Saharan cheetah or Northwest African cheetah is a subspecies of Cheetah endemic to Sahara and the Sahel regions of Africa.
- Difference: It is different from other Cheetah species because of its shorter coat and nearly white colour.Its face also has few or no spots and tear stripes are almost absent.
- IUCN Status: Critically Endangered
- African Cheetah: IUCN Status (Vulnerable)
- Asian Cheetah: IUCN Status (Critically Endangered)
- Introduction of African Cheetah in India: Recently, the Supreme Court has allowed the introduction of African Cheetah from Namibia to Madhya Pradesh’s Kuno-Palpur Wildlife Sanctuary.The Asiatic Cheetah was declared extinct in India in 1952.
2. NDB: New Development Bank(NDB): It is a multilateral development bank jointly founded by the BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) at the 6th BRICS Summit in Fortaleza, Brazil in 2014.The Bank formally came into existence in 2015.
Purpose: To mobilize resources for infrastructure and sustainable development projects in BRICS and other emerging economies as well as in developing countries.
Headquarters: Shanghai, China.
Capital: The initial authorized capital of the bank is $100 billion.
Voting Powers: The voting power of each member is equal to the number of its subscribed shares in the capital stock of the bank.
3. State Health Register to be launched by Karnataka Government: First of its Kind:- On May 27, 2020, the Karnataka State Government announced that it will launch a “State Health Register” to collect data of all its citizens. The register is first of its kind in the country.
4. World Vape Day to be observed on May 30: The World Vape Day is to be observed on May 30 all over the world. It aims to increase awareness on e-cigarettes and help smokers that are unable to quit smoking.
5. NPCI launched Pai: An Artificial Intelligence Virtual Assistant:- National Payment Corporation of India launched Artificial Intelligence based chatbot called Pai. The Chatbot aims to increase financial inclusion in India. The PAI can be accessed 24/7. It provides information about NPCI products. The queries can be sent by the users through text or voice.
6. May 28: World Hunger Day: Every year, May 28 is marked as World Hunger Day. The World Hunger Day is an initiative of the Hunger Project.
7. Russia constructs its first Stealth Bomber:- Under its Perspective Aviation Complex for Long Range Aviation (PAKDA) programme, Russia has constructed its first Stealth Bomber.