1)Responsible AI for Youth:- On May 30, 2020, the Union Minister Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad launched an initiative called “Responsible AI for Youth” and an Artificial Intelligence Portal called www.ai.gov.in.
The programme and the portal were launched to commemorate the first anniversary of second tenure of Narendra Modi Government. The programme aims to provide a platform to empower their new age technology skills especially AI based skills.
2)The SPHERE instrument of the Very Large Telescope has captured the birth of new planet in the AB Aurigae star system recently. The birth of the new star was depicted by the European Southern Observatory. The image depicts orange mass of gas.
Very Large Telescope, also called VLT is located in European Southern Observatory, northern Chile.
It consists of four telescopes. They are generally used separately. However, when used together gives the highest resolution. The VLT operates at Infrared wavelength.
3) “Indian National Super Model” launched by DST :- On May 31, 2020, the Department of Science and Technology operating under Ministry of Science and Technology launched the Indian National Super Model. The Model was launched to help monitor transmission of COVID-19 infection.
The Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) and IISc (Indian Institute of Science) are to play crucial role in the programme.
The Model will integrate mathematical and statistical forecasts. This will help in predicting the possible impacts of the spread of the disease.
4)The International Everest Day is observed every year on 29 May. The day is celebrated with processions, memorial events, and special events in Kathmandu, Nepal and the Everest region.
The day is observed every year in memory of the first summit of Mt. Everest on 29 May 1953 undertaken by Sir Edmund Hillary from New Zealand and Tenzing Norgay Sherpa from Nepal who became first humans to achieve the feat. In 2008, the Nepal government decided to observe day as International Everest Day when legendary climber Hillary passed away.
5)UN75 Initiative :-
- The UN75 Initiative was launched by the United Nations in 2019.
- Aim:To build a global vision for the year 2045 by initiating a dialogue and action on how we can build a better world despite the many challenges we face.
- The views and ideas that are generated through the dialogue will be presented during the 75th Session of the General Assembly in September 2020.
- UN is an international organization founded in 1945.It is currently made up of 193 Member States.
- Aim:To maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation, and be a center for harmonizing the actions of nations.
- Six Principal Organs: General Assembly, Security Council, Economic and Social Council, Trusteeship Council, International Court of Justice and the UN Secretariat.