1. ARCI develops Fuel Cell Technology for Disaster Management
- Scientists at International Advanced Research for Powder Metallurgy & New Materials (ARCI), Hyderabad, an autonomous R&D Centre of Department of Science and Technology (DST) have developed Polymer Electrolyte Membrane fuel cells (PEMFC).
- PEMFC, in its entireness, have an advantage of operational capability at low-temperatures with applications in decentralised power generation systems.
- Emergency Operation Centres (EOC) backed with 10 kW system along with fuel cell stack (providing sustainable electricity using hydrogen gas without the need of grid power), air moving sub systems, power control devices and control and monitoring system is being planned as a natural disaster management measure.
2. NITI Aayog’s Women Entrepreneurship Platform to Organise the Fourth Edition of the Women Transforming India Awards 2019
- On International Women’s Day, Sunday, 8 March 2020.
- Since 2018, the Women Transforming India Awards have been hosted under the aegis of the Women Entrepreneurship Platform on the theme of ‘Women and Entrepreneurship’.
- The Women Entrepreneurship Platform seeks to transform the entrepreneurial ecosystem for women by bringing together stakeholders to offer information and services that will resolve the existing information asymmetry. It was formulated on three pillars: Iccha Shakti,Gyan Shakti and Karma Shakti.
3. Setting Up of Port in Maharashtra
- Government of India has accorded in-principle approval to develop port at Vadhavan in Maharashtra on landlord model by a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) incorporated under Companies Act, 2013 with Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) as a lead Partner.
4. Subsidy to Artisans under Solar Charkha Mission
- The scheme Mission Solar Charkha is enterprise driven scheme and envisages setting up of ‘Solar Charkha Clusters’ which will have 200 to 2042 beneficiaries (Spinners, Weavers, Stitchers and other skilled artisans). Each spinner will be given two charkhas of 10 spindles each.
- Based on the success of a pilot project on Solar Charkha, set up at Khanwa village, Nawada District, Bihar in 2016 which benefitted about 1180 artisans, Government of India accorded approval to set up 50 such clusters.
- These solar charkhas are to be operated using solar power which is a renewable energy source.
- It will help in development of Green Economy as it is an environment friendly programme.
- It will also generate sustainable employment for the artisans.
5. CBDT issues FAQs on Direct Tax Vivad se Vishwas Scheme, 2020
- The ‘Vivad se Vishwas’ Scheme was announced during the Union Budget, 2020, to provide for dispute resolution in respect of pending income tax litigation.
- The objective of Vivad se Vishwas is to inter alia reduce pending income tax litigation, generate timely revenue for the Government and benefit taxpayers by providing them peace of mind, certainty and savings on account of time and resources that would otherwise be spent on the long-drawn and vexatious litigation process.