1.PM to inaugurate 107th Indian Science Congress tomorrow
- At University of Agricultural Sciences, GKVK, Bengaluru
- I-STEMPortal will also be launched on the occasion.
- TheTheme of the India Science Congress (ISC) this year is “Science and Technology: Rural Development”.
2. PM distributes Krishi Karman Awards
- Krishi Karman Awards for Progressive Farmers and Commendation Awards to the states were given at a public meeting in Tumkur, Karnataka
- He also released the 3rd installment of PM Kisan (Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi) of Rs 2000 for the period December 2019 – March 2020.
- This will benefit approximately 6 crore beneficiaries and distributed Kisan Credit Cards (KCC) to select farmers of Karnataka
3. Indian Railway announces one integrated Helpline number “139” for any help, enquiry and grievances redressal during travel
- To overcome the inconvenience over multiple helpline numbers for grievances and enquiry during railway travel, Indian Railway has integrated railway helplines into single number 139 for the passengers for quick grievance redressal and enquiry during their journey.
- Helpline 139 will be available in twelve languages. It will be based on IVRS (Interactive Voice Response System).
- There is no need of a smart phone to call on 139, thus, providing easy access to all mobile users.
4. 14 scientists awarded Swarna Jayanti Fellowships for 2018-19
- The scientists, selected for the award through a rigorous three-tier process, will be allowed to pursue unfettered research with freedom and flexibility.
- The Swarna Jayanti Fellowships scheme was instituted by Government of India to commemorate India’s fiftieth year of independence.
- Under this scheme, a selected number of young scientists, with proven track record, are provided special assistance and support to enable them to pursue basic research in frontier areas of science and technology.
- The awardees are supported by Department of Science & Technology
- This will cover all the requirements for performing the research and include a fellowship of Rs 25,000/- per month as well as a research grant of 5 lakh Rupees for 5 years in addition to their salary.
5. 5th IHAI National Ice Hockey Championship-2020 begins in Leh
- The 5th Ice Hockey Association of India (IHAI) National Ice Hockey Championship -2020 has begun in Leh
- The tournament will continue till 7th January in Karzoo Ice Hockey Rink in Leh, where the Army, Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana, Maharashtra and home team Ladakh are fighting for the championship in U-20
6. Assam state zoo first to breed endangered Hargila
- The Assam State Zoo cum Botanical Garden and Aaranyak has jointly attained a landmark achievement by successfully hatching a pair of Greater Adjutant chicks in an artificial platform within the zoo enclosure, in the first ever experiment of its kind.
- This rarest of storks, the Hargila is currently on the brink of extinction due to habitat loss stemming from indiscriminate felling of big trees and dwindling wetlands.
- The Endangered Greater Adjutant stork (Leptoptilosdubius) is one of the rarest species of Storks out of twenty species of Storks in the world. In India, eight species of residential storks are found, out of which Greater Adjutant is one of them.
- Habitat loss, poaching and poisoning are the major threats to the species. Cutting down of nesting trees by the tree owners and infrastructural construction has resulted into a breeding failure of the species and many historical breeding colonies have gone missing in its historical distribution range