1. GEM launches National Outreach Programme – GEM Samvaad
- The outreach programme will take place with stakeholders across the country and with local sellers in order to facilitate on-boarding of local sellers on the marketplace while catering to specific requirements and procurement needs of buyers.
- Through GeM Samvaad the marketplace is looking forward to receiving feedback from users which shall be used for making improvements and advancements in the system.
- Government e Marketplace (GeM) is the national public procurement portal offering end to end solutions for all procurement needs of Central and State Government Departments, PSUs, autonomous institutions and local bodies.
- Since its commencement on 9th August 2016, GeM has transformed public procurement in the country by leveraging technology and making procurement contactless, paperless, and cashless.
2. National Broadband Mission
- The vision of the NBM is to fast track growth of digital communications infrastructure, bridge the digital divide, facilitate digital empowerment and inclusion and provide affordable and universal access of broadband for all.
- Some of the objectives of the Mission which is structured with strong emphasis on the three principles of universality, affordability and quality are:
- Broadband access to all villages by 2022
- Facilitate universal and equitable access to broadband services for across the country and especially in rural and remote areas
- Laying of incremental 30 lakhs route km of Optical Fiber Cable
- Develop a Broadband Readiness Index (BRI) to measure the availability of digital communications infrastructure and conducive policy ecosystem within a State/UT.
- Creation of a digital fiber map of the Digital Communications network and infrastructure
3. Lt Gen M.M. Naravane appointed as Chief of Army Staff
Government has decided to appoint Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen Manoj Mukund Naravane, PVSM, AVSM, SM, VSM, as the next Chief of the Army Staff after the retirement of General Bipin Rawat, UYSM, AVSM, YSM, SM, VSM, ADC on December 31, 2019.
4. Multi-faceted Bharat Vandana Park of DDA- Foundation stone laid
- 40 lakh residents of Delhi will be able to get the ownership rights for their properties very soon as the online portal has already been made operational
- Bharat VandanaPark, built over 200 acres and costing INR 524 crore, is anchored in PrimeMinister Modi’s promise of providing each urban citizen of this country ‘Ease of Living’ and to accord them all the necessities that are part of an urban life.
- A. Benefits of the Project:
The following potential benefits of urban parks are included:
- Human health and wellbeing
- Social cohesion / identity:
- Educational benefits
- Environmental and Ecological Benefits
- B. Master Plan Zoning
The park has been conceptualized by dividing the site into different areas (zones) each having its own function and special elements as detailed below:
- Congregational Area(cultural ground, paved plaza, food court, toilet block, café restaurant)
- Recreational zone (for various cultural activities like concerts, shows etc.)
- Eco-Trail zone(Tree walk)
- Eco-forest, Conservatory, Fun Park
5. Pakistan: Musharraf Pervez sentenced to death for high treason
- This is the first time in Pakistan’s history that a military chief has been declared guilty of high treason and handed the death sentence.
- Musharraf seized power by ousting then-prime minister Nawaz Sharif in a 1999 bloodless coup. He has also served as Pakistan’s president from 2001 to 2008.
- He was sentenced for suspending the Constitution and imposing extra-constitutional emergency in 2007.
- In a video statement from his hospital bed, Musharraf called the treason case absolutely baseless.
- His legal team can appeal the verdict in the Supreme Court. If the top court upholds the special court’s verdict, the President of Pakistan possesses the constitutional authority under Article 45 to pardon a death row defendant.
6. ISRO begins preparations for setting up third rocket launchpad
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has begun preparatory works for setting up a third rocket launchpad in the small coastal hamlet of Kulashekhrapattinam in the Thuthukudi district of Tamil Nadu
- At present, the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has two launch pads at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh. The demand for additional launch pads has arisen.