1. 10th National Voters’ Day celebrated to mark the Foundation Day of ECI
- The theme for NVD 2020 was ‘Electoral Literacy for Stronger Democracy’ reiterating the commitment of Election Commission of India (ECI) towards electoral literacy for all to ensure maximum participation and informed & ethical voting.
- This year marks an important milestone in the history of Indian democracy as Election Commission of India (ECI) completes 70 years of its journey.
- The National Voters’ Day (NVD) is celebrated all over the country on January 25 every year since 2011 to mark the Foundation day of Election Commission of India, which was established on this day in the year 1950.
2.Dr. Harsh Vardhan reviews the preparedness regarding nCoV(Novel Coronavirus)
- Close monitoring is being undertaken for all the passengers who are arriving from China and Hong Kong across 7 International Airports in India. All the passengers are undergoing thermal screening.
- Advisory has also been issued to all States/UTs for Severe Acute Respiratory Infection (SARI) surveillance to pick up any travel related case reported in the community and follow up contacts of suspect/confirmed cases.
3. Tribal Affairs Ministry proposes 6th Schedule Area status to Ladakh
- The Sixth Schedule of the Constitution deals with the administration of the tribal areas in the four northeastern states of Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram as per Article 244.
- Environmentalist Sonam Wangchuk had last month appealed Prime Minister Narendra Modi to preserve the culture and identity of Ladakh.
4. CEC Sunil Arora assumes Chairmanship of FEMBoSA(Forum of the Election Management Bodies of South Asia) for 2020
- The Outgoing Chair of FEMBoSA, KM Nurul Huda who is also CEC of Bangladesh, handed over the Logo of FEMBoSA to Mr Arora at the 10th Annual Meeting of FEMBoSA held in New Delhi yesterday.
- FEMBoSA was established at the 3rd Conference of Heads of Election Management Bodies of SAARC Countries held at New Delhi in May, 2012.
- With its eight members, FEMBoSA represents a very large part of the democratic world and is an active regional association of Election Management Bodies.
5. Thai Amavasai observed throughout Tamil Nadu
- Thai Amavasai– the first New Moon that comes after the Sun starts moving towards the Northern hemisphere -was observed throughout Tamil Nadu with devotion and traditional rites yesterday
- Bathing in holy rivers and offering rituals to ancestors form important aspects of the Amavasai day.
- In the famous sea shore Shiva temple of Rameswaram, rituals are being conducted on the famous glass idol.