1. PM Lays foundation stone of Atal Bihari Vajpayee Medical University
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi unveiled a plaque to mark the laying of foundation stone of Atal Bihari Vajpayee Medical University in Lucknow today.
2. PM Launches Atal Bhujal Yojana
- On the Birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched Atal Bhujal Yojana (ATAL JAL) and named the Strategic Tunnel under Rohtang Pass after Vajpayee
- Atal Jal Yojana or the guidelines related to the Jal Jeevan Mission, are big steps in proving the resolve to deliver water to every household in the country by 2024
- On one hand, Jal Jeevan Mission, will work towards delivering piped water supply to every house, and on the other hand Atal Jal Yojana, will pay special attention to those areas where groundwater is very low.
- To incentivise gram panchayats to perform better in water management, a provision has been made in the Atal Jal Yojana, in which better performing gram panchayats, will be given more allocation.
- ATAL JAL has been designed with the principal objective of strengthening the institutional framework for participatory groundwater management and bringing about behavioral changes at the community level for sustainable groundwater resource management in seven States, viz. Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
- The historic decision to construct a strategic tunnel below the Rohtang Pass was taken by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. The 8.8-kilometre long tunnel is the world’s longest tunnel above an altitude of 3,000 metres.
3. ‘Good Governance Index’ launched on ‘Good Governance Day’ today
- The Good Governance Day is observed on the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Good Governance Index has been scientifically designed on various parameters of governance keeping in mind the citizen-centricity
- GGI would also seek to determine the status of governance as it exists today
- The Good Governance Index is a uniform tool across States to assess the Status of Governance and impact of various interventions taken up by the State Government and UTs.
- The objectives of GGI are to provide quantifiable data to compare the state of governance in all states and UTs, enable states and UTs to formulate and implement suitable strategies for improving governance and shift to result oriented approaches and administration.
- The GGI takes into consideration ten sectors: 1). Agriculture and Allied Sectors, 2). Commerce & Industries, 3). Human Resource Development, 4). Public Health, 5). Public Infrastructure & Utilities, 6). Economic Governance, 7). Social Welfare & Development, 8). Judicial & Public Security, 9). Environment and 10). Citizen-Centric Governance.
- On the occasion, the Minister also launched the 15th edition of Central Secretariat Manual of Office Procedure (CSMOP).
- It reflects the commitment towards digitization and to shift towards Digital Secretariat.
- Central Secretariat Manual of Office Procedure (CSMOP): The 1st CSMOP was published in 1955 and has been updated from time to time. The last edition (14th edition) was published in 2015. To meet the requirements of digital environment, DARPG has brought out 15th edition of CSMOP which integrates conventional office practices with e-office.
4. Cabinet approves funds to update National Population Register
- It is also for conducting Census of India, 2021, a Decennial Census (recurring every 10 years)
- About National Population Register (NPR)
The NPR exercise aims to create a comprehensive identity database by collecting biometric and demographic details of every “usual resident” of India. It is mandatory for every usual resident of country to register in NPR. A ‘usual resident’ is defined as a person who has resided in an area for past 6 months or more, or a person who intends to reside in that area for next 6 months or more.
- The NPR was last updated in 2010 and 2015.
- Registrar General and Census Commissioner: It is responsible for arranging, conducting and analysing results of demographic surveys of India including Census of India as well as Linguistic Survey of country. It functions under Union Ministry of Home Affairs.