1. Guru Ravidas Jayanti- 8th February
- Guru Ravidas was an Indian mystic poet-sant of the Bhakti movement during the 15th to 16th century CE.
- Venerated as a guru (teacher) in the region of Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh, the devotional songs of Ravidas have had a lasting impact upon the bhakti movement.
- He was a poet-saint, social reformer and a spiritual figure.
- Ravidas’ devotional songs were included in the Sikh scriptures, Guru Granth Sahib.
- The Panch Vani text of the Dadupanthi tradition within Hinduism also includes numerous poems of Ravidas.
2. Dhaka Art Summit Inaugurated
- The fifth edition of the biennial art extravaganza of Bangladesh Dhaka Art Summit was inaugurated
- The festival is organised by the Samadani Art Foundation in collaboration with the Culture Ministry of Bangladesh and the Shilpkala Academy.
- This year’s programmes also include a special exhibition on the life of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman to pay tribute to Bangabandhu on the occasion of his centenary year.
3. Baftas 2020
- The British Academy of Film and Television Arts or BAFTA Film Awards are presented in an annual award show hosted by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) to honour the best British and international contributions to film.
- British filmmaker Sam Mendes’ war drama “1917” ruled the 2020 edition of Baftas with seven wins, including best film, best British film and best director.
- Best actor winner Joaquin Phoenix for his titular performance in “Joker”
- Actor Renee Zellweger took home the best actress honour for her role as legendary singer-actor Judy Garland in “Judy”.