1. Which Indian sporting icon was the first to be conferred the Khel Ratna for the year 1991-92?
Answer – Chess great Viswanathan Anand
2. Including the 2021 winners, there have been 57 recipients since inception. Which sport has seen the most awardees and how many?
Answer – Shooting (including parashooting) with 10 honourees
3. Cricket may be the most popular sport, but there have been only five winners from it. Apart from Sachin Tendulkar and Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who else has been given the award?
Answer – Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and Mithali Raj
4. Over the years, only one star from football, gymnastics, and table tennis have been given the coveted honour (billiards and snooker have been considered as cue-sports). Name the three.
Answer – Sunil Chhetri, Dipa Karmakar, and Manika Batra
5. What is the cash award a recipient gets along with a citation and medallion?
Answer – ₹25 lakh. It was ₹1 lakh when the award was instituted
6. Apart from P.V. Sindhu, who is the other multiple Olympic medallist to get the Khel Ratna?
Answer – Sushil Kumar
7. Identify the sailing duo, the first joint-winners of the Khel Ratna (for 1993-94).
Answer – Homi Motivala and Pushpendra Kumar Garg.