After independence, the Radhakrishnan Commission was set-up in November, 1948 to review university education.
The main recommendations were as follows: —
- —12 years of pre-university studies.
- — Higher educational set-up to impart general, liberal and occupational education, increased focus on subjects such as agriculture, law and medicine, and improvement of engineering and technical institutes.
- — University education must not be made compulsory for administrative services. — Subject-wise exams at different stages for acquiring the first degree.
- — Uniform examination standards in all universities.
- — Raised pay scale for teachers.
- — The establishment of a University Grants Commission.
Interesting Facts about Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan :-
In 1952, he became the first vice president of India
In the year 1962, he became the second president of India and served his duties till the year 1967.
He was also nominated 16 times for the Nobel Prize in Literature and nearly 11 times for the Nobel Peace Prize.
In the year 1948, Radhakrishnan was elected chairman of UNESCO’s executive board.
Few of his works include Gautama the Buddha, India and China, Philosophy of Rabindranath Tagore, Reign of Religion in Contemporary Philosophy among others.