1)Pangong Tso is located in which of the following regions?
- a. Ladakh
- b. Uttarkhand
- c. Himachal Pradesh
- d. Arunachal Pradesh
2)Which of the following is true regarding Happy Hypoxia, sometimes seen in the news recently?
- a. It is a form of oxygen deprivation that is harder to detect than regular hypoxia
- b. Under the condition, patients will have oxygen levels below 80 or 70% and appear extremely ill so lower oxygen level will remain undetected
- c. At acutely low oxygen levels, there was a high risk of acute respiratory distress (ARDS) and organ failure
- d. None of the above
3)The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recently gave emergency approval to use the drug Remdesivir for critical COVID-19 patients. Remdesivir was originally developed to treat for?
- a. Malaria
- b. Tuberculosis
- c. Haemophilus Influenza
- d. None of the above
News:- Health Ministry issues new guidelines for workplaces:- The guidelines make it mandatory to maintain a physical distance of at least one metre to be followed at all times along with use of face covers/masks
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the apex body in India for the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research, is one of the oldest and largest medical research bodies in the world. The ICMR is funded by the Government of India through the Department of Health Research, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
In 1911, the Government of India set up the Indian Research Fund Association (IRFA) with the specific objective of sponsoring and coordinating medical research in the country. After independence, several important changes were made in the organisation and the activities of the IRFA. It was redesignated the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) in 1949, considerably expanded scope of functions.
The Indian Journal of Medical Research is published under the auspices of the council.
2)NDRF was in News :-
- The mid nineties and the subsequent decade saw much international debate & discussion around Disaster Response & Preparedness. Some of the notable and more impactful ones were the Yokohama Strategy Plan (1994) & the Hyogo Framework for Action (2005), adopted by the UN. During the same period India faced some of its most severe natural calamities like Orissa Super Cyclone (1999), Gujarat Earthquake (2001) and Indian Ocean Tsunami (2004).
- This succession of events and the International environment brought to fore, the need of comprehensive disaster management plan. This led to the enactment of the Disaster Management Act on December 26th, 2005. The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) was constituted to lay down the policies, plans and guidelines for disaster management.
- The Disaster Management Act has statutory provisions for constitution of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) for the purpose of specialized response to natural and man-made disasters.
- Accordingly, in 2006 NDRF was constituted.
- NDRF stands for National Disaster Response Force
- It comes under Ministry of Home Affairs
- It is the only dedicated disaster response force in the world
- Established in 2006
- HQ: New Delhi
- It works under National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) which lays down policies, plans and guidelines for disaster management.
- At present there are 12 battalions in NDRF which are deployed strategically across country to provide immediate response.
3) Facts About IMD :-
- It is national meteorological service of the country and chief government agency dealing in everything related to meteorology, seismology and associated subjects.
- It was formed in 1875.
- It functions under Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- Undertake meteorological observations and provide current information and forecasting information for most favorable operation of weather-dependent activities such as irrigation, agriculture, aviation, shipping etc.
- Offer warning against severe weather phenomenon such as tropical cyclones, norwesters, dust storms, heat waves, cold waves, heavy rains, heavy snow, etc.
- Provide met-related statistics needed for agriculture, industries, water resources management, oil exploration, and any other strategically important activities for the country.
- Engage in research in meteorology and allied subjects.
- Detect and locate earthquakes and evaluate of seismicity in various parts of the country for developmental projects.
What was the news :- India Meteorological Department (IMD) says it is unable to deploy new automated weather stations (AWS) before June due to the COVID-19.
After the 2018 floods, the IMD had decided to establish 100 AWS across Kerala.
Kerala government recently decided to source weather inputs from private agencies during the southwest monsoon. These 4 private agencies are :-
- Skymet Weather Services,
- the IBM Weather Company, and
- Earth Networks.
News:- About Olive Ridley Turtles :- Habitat — warm and tropical waters of primarily in the Pacific, Indian Ocean and Atlantic ocean.
Gets name from its olive colored carapace, which is heart-shaped and rounded
Arribadas — synchronized nesting in mass numbers,
Operation Olivia — Olive Ridely Turtle protection program undertaken byIndian Coast Guard
mating and breeding season — winter
mostly carnivorous, feeding on such creatures as jellyfish, snails, crabs, and shrimp. They will occasionally eat algae and seaweed
Poaching for their meat, shell and leather, and their eggs
Accidental killing of adult turtles through entanglement in trawl nets and gill nets due to uncontrolled fishing during their mating season around nesting beaches
Development and exploitation of nesting beaches for ports, and tourist centres
Predators like feral dogs and pigs, ghost crabs, snakes etc
Ingestion of marine debris that causes perforation of the digestive system and exposure to chemicals and hence death.
Nesting sites in India
- Hope Island of Coringa Wildlife Sanctuary (Andra Pradesh)
- Gahirmatha beach (Odisha)
- Astaranga coast(Odisha)
- Beach of Rushikulya River
- Devi River mouth
News:- India China Border Representation :
- LAC is a 4,057-km porous border running through glaciers, snow deserts, mountains and rivers that separate India and China.
- The LAC traverses three areas— Western (Ladakh, Kashmir), middle (Uttarakhand, Himachal) and eastern (Sikkim, Arunachal).
- In 1993, India and China signed an accord to reduce tensions along their border and respect the LAC. Three years later in 1996, the two countries agreed to delimit the LAC and institute confidence building measures.
- In October 2013, the two sides signed the Boundary Defence Cooperation Agreement to prevent any flare up along the un-demarcated border. This encompasses both military and diplomat level dialogue mechanism.
News :- India and U.S will collaborate for Vaccine Trials.
The VAP, or the Indo U.S.Vaccine Action Program (VAP), is a 33 year collaboration between the U.S. National Institutes of Health, the Indian Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) along with other partners.
News:- Who are Kaatibs :- They are Urdu and Afghan Calligraphers.
Project Kitabat by Netaji Subhash University , Delhi for these calligraohers.
Editorial of the Day :- The Editorials criticise the package announced by govt. As not just flawed but also very late and thus are not satisfying
The author says there is little to cheer for the Middle income persons also the farmers , both of which are trapped in debts and finding it difficult to survive.
Little has been done for labours and migrant labours, who make 10% of this country’s GDP.
Author suggests that money from wasteful projects can be utilized for rebuilding for ex. There is no need of High speed railways as of now.
Thus author critics the govt. On these grounds.