1)Global Trends Report is published recently by which of the following organisations?
- a. World Economic Forum
- b. UNICEF
- c. Food and Agricultural Organisation
- d. UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Answer : d
- Developing countries, not rich Western nations, are bearing the brunt of the world’s refugee crisis, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said in its yearly report “Global Trends”.
2)Consider the following statements with respect to Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC)
- It is a statutory body established by an Act of Parliament.
- It deals with issues relating to financial stability, financial literacy and financial inclusion.
- It is chaired by the Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct?
- a. 2 only
- b. 1 and 3 only
- c. 1, 2 and 3
- d. None
Answer : a
- The Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) is chaired by the Union Finance Minister.
- It has been constituted vide GOI notification. Hence it is not a statutory body.
- The Council deals, inter-alia, with issues relating to financial stability, financial sector development, inter–regulatory coordination, financial literacy, financial inclusion and macro prudential supervision of the economy including the functioning of large financial conglomerates.
3)Newar community sometimes seen in the news recently inhabits in which of the following countries?
- a. Nepal
- b. Bhutan
- c. Pakistan
- d. Bangladesh
News :- Govt. eases a slew of restrictions; malls, religious places to open
News :- PM CARES not within the ambit of RTI Act: PMO
The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) has refused to disclose details on the creation and operation of the PMCARES Fund, telling an RTI applicant that the fund is “not a public authority” within the ambit of the RTI Act, 2005. The Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations (PMCARES) Fund accepts donations and provides relief during the COVID-19 pandemic, and other similar emergencies.
PM CARES Fund is not a Public Authority under the ambit of Section 2(h) of the RTI Act, 2005. However, relevant information in respect of PM CARES Fundmay be seen on the Website pmcares.gov.in”.
News:- Skymet says monsoon is in; IMD waits
SKYMET is Private Weather Forecasting Agency.
The IMD says there are three major conditions to declare the onset.
- The first is if after May 10, 60% of the 14 weather stations — Minicoy, Amini, Thiruvananthapuram, Punalur, Kollam, Alappuzha, Kottayam, Kochi, Thrissur, Kozhikode, Thalassery, Kannur, Kudulu and Mangalore — report rainfall of 2.5 mm or more for two consecutive days, the onset over Kerala will be declared on the second day.
- The second is the depth ofthe westerlies should be maintained up to 600 hectopascals (hPa) and
- the third is the OLR should be below 200 watt per square metre(wm2).
News :- In June, the UN General Assembly will hold elections for the five non-permanent member seats in the Security Council for 2021-2022, where India is assured a place as the sole contenderfor the Asia Pacific seat.
News:- Draft e-com policy for comments soon: DPIIT
The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) will very soonput a draft ecommerce policy in the public domain to seek views and comments, a top government official said.
The country does nothave an ecommerce policy and the department is currently working on this.
It is now recognised that the country should have a definite, clear and coherent policy, which is keeping in tune with the requirementof the society and service providers.
What Should the Draft Policy Have :-
- e-commerce policy firstly should lay down a very clear policy on what is data;
- what kind of data the ecommerce companies can use;
- how the citizens’ right of privacy can be protected;
- how the ecommerce data is being leveraged for other purposes, other commercial benefits accrue to the ecommerce data holder;
- how citizens like you and me can have access to those benefits.
- “Secondly, there are a lotof counterfeit and inferiorproducts and violation ofvarious safety standards.
Explained :- Plight of doctoral students during the pandemic
How does this pHD and Post Doctoral research work:- Research fellows after completing the PhD programme often go for post doctoral fellowships (PDF) for higher studies and independent research, which make them eligible for faculty/staff scientist position in academia or industry. Typically, three years of PDF experience is expected for a faculty job. It is common to go abroad for such assignments although domestic opportunities are increasing.
Problems they are Facing:-
- During the COVID19 crisis, those who have completed their degrees, even if they have post doctoral offers, are stuck. Universities abroad have been closed as well. They have no support from parent laboratories, as advisors have no additional money and institutional resources are limited.
- There are other battles to fight for the institutions within their meagre resources.
- These unique challenges faced by the young PhDs have left them in the lurch. Those who are finishing their degrees might still be receiving their fellowships, although they may not bein the institutions due to the ongoing lockdown. However, their work suffers and it will certainly take more time to finish the degrees and that too without any fellowship.
- Even more worrisome is the situation of existing postdocs and those who are caught in between post doctoral assignments.
- Many have come back from China and other such places and are unable to go back. They do not have new assignments, and even if they do, there is no way to proceed with them. They too remain unpaid.
What should the Govt. Do:-
The government must come to their rescue in this period of crisis. The government may do well by extending the fellowship for six more months for all eligible scholars and those who have just completed their tenures.
Those who have completed their PhD within the past year, and without jobs or adequate support may be provided with urgent funding for the same period.
Post doctoral fellows, graduated from institutions of national importance and currently jobless, may be provided with quick assistance for six months.