What does social democracy mean?
It means a way of life which recognises liberty, equality and fraternity, in the same context for all. The supreme court observed in 1997 that, the constitution envisions to establish an egalitarian social order rendering to every citizen social economic and political justice in a social and economic democracy of the Bharat republic.
Another Definition :-
Social democracy definition is – a political movement advocating a gradual and peaceful transition from capitalism to socialism by democratic means.
Is democracy defendable in present scenario?
1. In every election there is phenomenal rise in voting percentage which shows people’s faith
in democracy, also representation of marginalized section SC,ST,WOMEN and minorities
in the decision making process is on rise.
2. Independence of judiciary and free media is a symbol of deepening democracy. India has the prescrive of largest civil society organisations in the world.
3. Devolution of powers through 73rd and 74th amendment.
1. Human right violations and displacement of tribals goes against the spirit of democracy.
2. Recent crackdown on civil society organization/NGOs like greenpeace.
3. Increasing criminalisation of politics and politicisation of crime.